The Reality of Using TikTok


Personal experience with the app
            Like millions of netizens, there was a time when I'd spend hours upon hours excessively strolling through TikTok. During this time, my addiction to the app was so severe that I'd unconsciously open it immediately after unlocking my phone. That being said, this was not my first time using the app as I've used it a countless number of times in the past to escape reality whenever boredom hit. However, I must admit that my experience with the app may be considered as a viewer's perspective by some as I have created TikTok videos in the past with my siblings and cousin, but I've never actually posted any of the videos to the app for others to view.  

Thoughts about the app
            In comparison to other apps, I loved using TikTok and thus spent majority of my time on it. I'd say that in some ways it became sort of my home away from home as the videos that I'd watch were tailored to my personal liking and thus it would bring me comfort in times of need through funny, biblical or inspirational content. 

Usability 
Audience's perspective
            From the audience's perspective, TikTok is fairly straightforward and easy to use which makes it beginner friendly. I currently have friends in their late 50s that use the app on a daily basis and was able to figure out how to operate it on their own. The only thing that some netizens may need to be told regarding the app is how the algorithm works and how to fix it to suit their interests. I've found that some of my friends are unaware that the type of videos that they like and who they follow on the app has a direct relationship to the type of videos that TikTok sends them in the future.



Content creator's perspective
             From a creator's perspective, I was initially intimidated by the app as I didn't know how to find and use sounds to create my own personal content, but it only took me a few days to figure it out. I've since reduced my usage of the app to help cure my addiction and I must say that I never truly learnt how to edit videos on the app and save it to my device.



            I think some of the best ways to use the platform are:
• To incorporate hooks at the beginning of your videos to catch the viewer's attention 
• To use relevant hashtags to reach a wider audience 
• To use trending sound and challenges to increase your views
• To utilize your knowledge about the algorithm to change your feed to your liking 




What makes TikTok unique 
            TikTok is different from other platforms as it focuses on video-based content, is heavily monitored, encouraged individualism and creativity. It also has a unique sense of community, is the birthplace of many trends and has a strong algorithm when compared to other apps.


Business usage
There are many pros and cons of using TikTok in a business environment which includes but is not limited to:

Pros
• Helps businesses build a
relationship with their customers.
• Can increase the company's visibility and lead to growth
• Allows the business to showcase its uniqueness 
• The business can utilize TikTok shop for e-commerce

Cons
• Viewer's attention span tends to be shortened
• The algorithm may be curated to display videos from foreign business rather than local one
• TikTok's audience may not align with the company’s target customers
• Content restriction and censorship may restrict some businesses' content
• Running ads on TikTok may be costly


Business owners can use the platform to sell products, attract new customers, communicate and build relationships with existing customers and monitor their competitors.











References:
Guiding Tech. (2020, June 18). Get Started with TikTok! - Recording and Editing 2020 Tutorial. [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/2qTWaBB9Oik?si=38maD2sq5sqU2l6G 

Guiding Tech. (2020, June30). How to Use TikTok: A Beginner's Guide. [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/jbuZevOOjWg?si=L4VlhgdVXtWUAjnD 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is X Really Worth All The Hype?